Monday 14 November 2011

Note to self: remember to photograph your food!

Well, although I still have not got a kitchen I still have a couple of things to blog about but I keep being so greedy and diving right into the eating before I have taken a photograph! What a pig!


SWEET POTATO AND FRIENDS RISOTTO
Last night was my first bit of decent cooking in a while. It wasn't very adventurous and was an old easy favourite of mine- risotto. What I love about risotto is how different you can make it with different ingredients. Last night I chose sweet potato, butternut squash, courgette and mushroom. Another fault of mine is adding ingredients my eye- so I basically just add until my instincts say to stop. That said I can guestimate a lot of the amounts so here goes:


Ingredients (serves 4)


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
a glass worth of white wine
arborio rice (this is the biggest guess- I'd say maybe 2/3 of a mug <---not exactly your usual cooking measurement I know! The packet probably gives an idea of how much you will need)
mixed herbs (probably about 1 desert spoon full)
about 1 stock cubes worth of vegetable stock
1 medium courgette
around 10 closed cup mushrooms
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 a medium butternut squash


What you do:
Chop and fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until softened
Add in the rice and herbs and fry for a couple of minutes
Put the wine in and let it simmer
add in all the vegetables except for the mushrooms
Add the stock in bit by bit stirring all the time- each time waiting for the liquid to be absorbed. You may need to adjust the amount of liquid-- taste as you go to feel when the rice is the right texture. This could take around half an hour but if you put the lid on and stir every 5 minutes you can speed it along a little but beware of the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Add the mushrooms for the last 5 minutes.


Enjoy with the wine you opened!


Once again- please excuse my poor writing style. I am hoping this will improve!

No comments:

Post a Comment