Monday 14 November 2011

Tofu in a sandwich??

Today I decided to go all the way to Camden under the ruse of researching vegan DHA supplements for my research project. Although I did succeed in that it was nothing I couldn't have done on the internet so my trip to Camden ended up just being for a sandwich. But what a sandwich it was! The sound of a tofu sandwich has never quite appealed to me. I did not really see how the tofu could really bring anything to it. The main factor in making me choose this particular form of lunch was the gorgeous looking bread (oh how I wish I had paused to take a photo before shoving it into my mouth). It was a thin baguette style roll made from what looked like brown flour and covered in sesame seeds. It was not too big (i.e. upper crust size baguettes that make you feel bloated just looking at them) but big enough to feel like a really good sized lunch. Inside were these big slices of tofu with sundried tomatoes and, I think, some wilted spinach. I can tell you this has converted me to the tofu way! It made such a difference- it was almost like having an out of this world cheese and salad sandwich but 10 times better. Obviously the tofu didn't taste like cheese but it made me realise that the cheese in cheese sandwiches was mostly about the texture, and the right kind of tofu can hit the spot just right. Anyway..perhaps this is a little too much writing on a sandwich but if you are ever peckish and near whole foods.......

No comments:

Post a Comment