Thursday 1 December 2011

Itadaki Zen (King's Cross, London)

Hi Everyone,

My course has been so busy that I haven't had time to write anything recently but I still have some things to write about.

A couple of weeks ago my dad, my boyfriend and I went for dinner to Itadaki Zen- an Organic Vegan Japanese Restaurant! SO many good things wrapped up in one. Now I still haven't remembered to take many photos- the only ones I have of my own is and empty bottle of Sake and a full boyfriend but I will try and find some photos of some of the food we ate on the internet.

I have to say I was extremely excited about this! I hadn't had Japanese food since a fateful trip to Yo! Sushi when I was younger which my dad never fails to remind us of where me and my sister did not like any of the sushi and just ate so many desserts! Dad says he is still paying it now!

As usual on dinner trips with my dad we decided to get many little dishes to share.
Starting we had spring rolls with tofu, some wild garlic rolls and some seaweed rolls. The sushi was delicious, although I couldn't really tell the difference- no garlicky taste and not much filling but all the same I enjoyed it. But the spring rolls- gosh they were good! Tofu should always be put in spring rolls it was amazing. Plus the way they were cooked was just so light and felt much less oily. Definitely the best spring rolls I have ever tasted!
Next came a tempura salad on a bed of noodles, Ryokusaimaki (spring greens wrapped round vegetable and okara) and then another dish with vegetables and a peanut sauce. The tempura was absolutely amazing but I have always been a fan. And the noodles underneath were nice and thick with a pleasing sauce. The ryokusaimaki were also  really nice with a lovely smooth texture of the almost pureed vegetable mixture but the cabbage-y aftertaste stayed with me for the rest of the night which, although I do love cabbage, was not really what I wanted for so long. The dissapointment was the peanutty dish- as you can probably guess from me forgetting the name and details. We purposely chose a dish with peanuts because we all love them. Unfortunately you could barely taste the peanuts. It was still nice to eat but nothing special and a disappointment if you were really looking forward to some peanuts like me!
For dessert we chose: sesame pudding, macha pudding and the itadaki zen muffin. I've got to say I was not a huge fan of either of the 'puddings' but I think I just don't like jelly-like things that aren't classic jelly but both my dad and boyfriend enjoyed the sesame pudding. My favourite was definitely the muffin which was sugar free and came with a tofu vanilla cream which was delicious. I think though next time I would probably order more savoury food and skip the desserts.

All in all it was a lovely experience and I would definitely visit again. It was not expensive at all  and just a lovely setting to relax and have some delicious food.

I have just realised I have the photos I do have on a different computer so will upload another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment