Monday 5 December 2011

A Taste of Heaven (Tulse Hill, London)

I have been meaning to blog about this place for a while. I was so excited to hear of this new restaurant opening as I literally live about a 10 minute walk away. I had picked up a menu on my way past one day and had been salivating ever since. A few weeks ago I had my friend Jen staying (which I think I have mentioned in a previous post) and for a weekend treat we decided to have breakfast there.
We were immediately greeted by friendly staff and chose a seat by the window (we did have the full choice seeing as no one else was there!).  I pretty much knew I wanted the full vegan breakfast before I arrived and when we got there Jen decided on the same. It came with sausages, grilled tomatoes, sauteed potatoes, mushrooms with a light covering of a creamy sauce, baked beans and toast. You also get a hot drink. The food was yummy! It was not very greasy- a good thing and I was very glad it wasn't fried bread as I always feel sick after that. I have got to admit it wasn't my top vegan breakfast ever but it was still good and being a new restaurant it may improve even further. With my drink I branched out a bit and got hot carob. I've got to admit I was not a fan. I love hot chocolate and I definitely have a bit of a sweet tooth so it just didn't quite hit the spot for me.
One of the best features of the restaurant though is the absolutely lovely staff. There were just two there when we went- a guy who was quite obviously new as he had to relay all our questions back, and a woman who I presume is an owner as she asked us how we'd heard about the restaurant and we had a good chat.

I would recommend going here definitely. There is still a lot on the menu to explore yet- I particularly want to try the carrot cake and bakewell tart and it would be nice to have dinner there sometime. It would be really nice to get people knowing about this place as I do think more custom would help. It is a little off the map and that's why I think it struggles a bit but with people spreading the word I am sure it will become a thriving business.

2 comments:

  1. I went here with my girlfriend for a meal, on Twitter beforehand they were very warm and welcoming, asking if I would like anything in particular made ready..

    Awesome food - so strange that there's a veggie/vegan (it's actually all-vegan) place in Tulse Hill given the rest of the shops and restaurants around.. But as a vegan in Tulse HIll, I can't fault that!

    Really good service, really nice lady head chef - no alcohol which is refreshing, was a bit cold even with the heaters on, though it was minus 2 outside..

    Great range of food, very prepared to improve on anything with feedback (I like faux meats, said that on the review they asked us to fill out, this time round when booking she knew me by name and said she had a new recipe for me to try!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite sad I moved away now as I only managed to go there twice: once for this breakfast and once for a smoothie. I would have loved to have a main meal. Maybe I'll be out that way one day and get to go. I know Tulse Hill is not the best place for vegans. I went to The Rosendale though and although there was nothing vegan on the menu they rustled me up a lovely main meal when I asked- pretty basic and all vegetable but nice all the same.

    ReplyDelete