Tuesday 6 December 2011

The Parsnipship- Surbiton

The Parsnipship at Surbiton is a newly established vegetarian and vegan caterers. It is run by my sister and my cousin so you may think I will give it more favourable reviews but I will do my best not to. At the moment they are having a stall at the Merton Abbey Mills market every weekend (Saturday and Sunday 10-5).
My first visit was this Saturday and although the weather was a little wet it was really nice to look round the whole market which had a variety of wares for sale. My boyfriend even had some Mauritius food (he didn't have vegan food but I believe there were some vegan friendly options like deep fried aubergine, yum!).
Anyway back to the parsnipship- of all the products they had available that day, at least half were vegan including a red wine and tomato passata, root vegetable burgers, indian summer pudding (savoury which confused my boyfriend very much), some pate's and two varieties of "flowerpot bread" (so called because they were cooked in flowerpots).
We bought root vegetable burgers, indian summer puddings and some orange and lemon bread.
Last night I cooked the indian summer puddings (they come with cooking instructions- very simple) and had them with salad and some fried potato chunks with onion, garlic and chilli.
They were really really nice. They weren't too big, which I find is usually the problem with pie-like things, and full of a chickpea and vegetable mixture. The pastry was perfect even though being cooked twice. My omnivorous boyfriend ate all of his without a single scrap on his plate which is a massive compliment as if he doesn't like something it usually ends up in the bin (my falafel and morrocan couscous creation- which in fairness was not the best!).
The food they sell has some changes everyweek and if you follow them on facebook or twitter you will be able to find out the specials that week.
I would definitely recommend a trip down there- you can freeze the food for a delicious easy meal at a later date!


grrr...just tried to add a photo but the stupid uni computers wouldn't let me- again I will do this at a later date.

Jules x

UPDATES: PHOTOS!!!

The stall- with my lovely sister on the far right

Indian Summer Puddings

Flowerpot Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment